Thursday, June 26, 2014

Breaking Bad

Breaking bad is one of my favorite shows, right up there with The Wire, Carnivale, Rome and Deadwood. I was compelled to make a study of one of the most memorable scenes in my opinion. I am weak with multi-figure compositions, so I took a chance to practice. I didn't take care to save the steps, except for the initial block in. I think that's the most difficult step, simplifying the shapes and placing them correctly. But once that step is done, it's like 50% of the work done. Shape-accuracy is important, don't fuck around and be sloppy with it (friendly self-reminder). For me it's useful to do it all with 100% opaque brushes, so that I get nice clean hard edges, and the shapes can work as clipping-masks later on, which leaves me free to go in with big strokes without worrying about destroying the silhouettes. I compare positive and negative spaces till my brain is exhausted ;) I spent about 6-8 hours on it in total.



I can't remember where I found this image, but I really liked it. Probably on the SpaceGhostZombie Tumblr, or Shane Glines's Coolretro Tumblr.
Say what you will, Michelle Pfeiffer's Catwoman still kicks ass. Tim Burton's Batman FTW!
My friends know that I'm a sucker for Jazz and Hip Hop. In the Jazz genre, some of my favorites are Bill Evans, Django Reinhardt, Stan Getz, Sarah Vaughan, A.C Jobim and of course Chet Baker. Here's a lil' study of him. I was mesmerized by the chiaroscuro!

One of my favorite tunes by Baker. Love the lyrics and melody.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Superb stuff mate, I really enjoy seeing the progression in your studies, getting really good!

That breaking bad scene is so good, I wish I could erase that series from my mind and watch it again.

Thanks for the inspiration and kick in the butt mate, I can always count on you for that :)

Johannes Helgeson said...

Thank you brother, I appreciate it! So much to learn! About the inspiration, likewise homie, you kick ass :D

Duc said...

Hey!
I really love your Blog!
Ur work and work effort is truly inspiring!

Johannes Helgeson said...

Thanks Duc! I'm glad, though it's never been my intention to inspire. In showing my failures and attempts for the whole world to see, I am forcing myself to put in some effort. Also I want to leave myself totally defenseless, everyone should see my ignorance and feel free to attack my weaknesses. In receiving critique, and embracing the suckiness of my own work, I am free to learn and improve. I'm not clining to old misconceptions and bad habits. That's the way I see it. Though of course, when working with clients, or in a studio environment I will project a whole lot more confidence (but don't tell anyone). I can't recommend that mental paradigm for anyone though. It's good if you've got high self esteem and a strong ego, which I do. Some people need to be more encouraged, nurtured and built up to improve, I think.